Look Ma, I Sewed!

I know you were all wondering if I was ever going to sew again. And I did! Since my husband is still on break, I did the easiest, quickest project I had in my stash (note: I tend to stash projects, not patterns or fabric separately).

 

With Sweater, as I usually am during the day.

I made the Lydia from Burda–a terrifically useful $1 pattern. If you don’t have this one, you should get it. It’s a very basic long-sleeved shirt pattern, but as you can see from the photo gallery on Burda, there’s so much room for alterations and embellishments on this one. As for me, well, I couldn’t settle for just a long-sleeved shirt, so I made a dress (by simply extending the side seam lines by 14 inches), which is more practical for me for work. It’s the perfect time of year for a comfy knit dress, and this one has the bonus of looking nice because of the fabric– an Embroidered Belle Fleur Jersey Knit in Navy Blue from fabric.com that I picked up for $4/yard and which has since gone missing on their website.

 

Apart from taping together the pattern and cutting the fabric (which didn’t take that long), I think this was less than an hour of sewing. I serged almost the whole thing, mostly because I already had navy blue thread on my serger (I’m a lazy sewer, I admit). I did a rolled hem for the sleeves and the bottom hem, and I skipped the interfacing on the front neckline facing (which was a mistake, in retrospect, since then I had to thread my sewing machine to top stitch the neckline to keep the facing down).

The fabric is so dark that you can't even really see the top stitching, even in person.

I cut out my usual Burda size 36 and used smaller seam allowances with the serger (which is my one big gripe with construction with the serger. And it’s too big in the bodice, just like everything I make, especially the shoulders, which   are a bit linebackery. The fabric is pretty clingy, which makes up for a lot, but it’s still a tad too big. If I make this pattern again, I’ll probably cut a 34, even if I’m using 5/8″ seam allowances. It’s a bit difficult to fix now that the sleeevs are attached, so I think I’ll just consider this a wearable muslin.

Yeah, there's a bit too much room there.

I can’t comment on the directions because I didn’t use them. It was pretty easy to work out how to put this together, which a front, back, two sleeves, and front and back neck facings. Given how much trouble I usually have with Burda directions, I was happy to avoid them. If only all sewing patterns were this easy and successful!

 

Photographing a navy blue dress again a black backdrop? Not so much.

So, it’s a bit of a mixed bag for me. It’s too big, and I’m not overly fond of the neckline. I think it would make a lot more sense with a bias binding neck instead of facings. But, hey, it’s reasonably cute, pretty easy and cheap, and super comfortable to wear to work! I see more Lydias in my future, as shirts and dresses.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s